Monday, March 25, 2013

The Call of the Lord



Several years ago on retreat the Lord gave me the passage of Acts 8:26-40, which is the story of St. Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch.  In the passage, St. Philip is called to bring the Gospel of Jesus to the Ethiopian (evangelization), he responds to this call and leads him to Christ, and then St. Philip is called on to the next mission.  This passage had profound significance to me at the time and has continued to speak to me as I was called away from my parish in Central Wisconsin to minister at the Cathedral in Gaylord.  I have heard God’s call in this passage from Acts coupled with Galations 2:20, calling me to put away my own desires for the sake of bringing Christ’s Gospel to those whom He has called me even if it means sitting at the foot of the Cross. I have pledged to go wherever the Lord leads.  This has been my prayer and what I have striven to do to the best of my ability.
When my family and I moved out here last summer, it was with the expectation that we would be here long-term, which is why we moved everything and did our best to buy a home in the area.  Yet, God kept up from “putting down roots” since we were unable to sell our home.  We  have been in a number of temporary houses since we came to Gaylord.  God gave us a sense that we were called to a “missionary” experience of being detached from all of our belongings (most of which are currently still packed in boxes) and helping to bring the Gospel to those in the community of Gaylord.  Perhaps this is fitting as this area was first evangelized by such great missionaries as Ven. Bishop Baraga and Ven. Samuel Mezzuchelli.  The greater the sacrifice, the greater the harvest, right?   And I am grateful that God called us here for this time and for the experiences and harvest this time has engendered.  
Recently, my spiritual director asked me to consider a position in Green Bay.   Though I was not certain I would enjoy working on a diocesan level, Bishop Ricken and the Diocesan Director of the New Evangelization in Green Bay were convinced they wanted me to lead their New Evangelization efforts with young adults (18-39) and become the Diocesan Young Adult Formation & Discipleship Coordinator.  
After a great deal of prayer and discernment I have come to see that this is where God is calling my family and me and I have accepted their invitation.
Bishop Ricken is the head of Evangelization for the USCCB and my particular job will be to implement the New Evangelization in the 18-39 year old demographic.   This position will involve retreats, discipleship, teaching, vocational discernment and working with young families, and college students, all things I very much enjoy doing and by the Grace of God have been successful at.  
I am particularly grateful for the many opportunities and experiences I have been given here under Fr. James’ leadership.  I have been blessed to observe parish life at a Cathedral along with the various workings of the diocese.  These experiences and skills I will take with me into the future.  During my time here I have done my best to lead others closer to Christ and His Church, to facilitate that growth in holiness and the New Evangelization. For my part, I am certainly a stronger man of faith for having been here and been touched by the many souls who I've encountered.    
Practically speaking, my last day at the Cathedral will be April 22nd.  This will allow me to work with the St. Mary High School Senior Retreat (April 19/20) and the final RCIA (April 22nd).   We will then move back to Wisconsin and I will begin at the Green Bay Diocese in the beginning of May.  
The people of Gaylord, and in particular St. Mary's Cathedral have been among the most kind and generous folks my family and I have ever met.  I don’t know that I’ve ever received a more warm embrace from a community.  Thank you again for your kindness and the opportunity to serve the Lord among you.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Phil Lawson

1 comment:

  1. Know of my prayers as you continue to follow in the spirit of another great Philip.

    ReplyDelete